A few months ago we discussed Seattle’s spring fare. Well now that summer is upon us, I think we need an update. It’s the best time of year for fruits and vegetables! Check out all these great options that are available at your nearby farmer’s markets:
- ALL THE BERRIES: cherries, blackberries, boysenberries, marionberries, strawberries. And starting in August, grapes and huckleberries are coming into their peak season.
- Greens like chard, kale, lettuce, spinach, and radicchio. Mix them together for a powerhouse salad with other summer flavors like onion, fennel, cucumber, and herbs.
- Summer squash! Smaller and tenderer than the hard winter varieties, these small green and yellow vegetables are wonderful on the grill
- Watermelon. The best fruit of all, and only available for these few months. Also available with its cousins honeydew and cantelope.
- Tree fruits like nectarines, peaches, plums, mangoes, apricots, and figs
- Peas, peppers, and okra just ready for a summer stir fry
- New potatoes, small and fresh from the ground. Perfect to roast or make into potato salad
- Corn; remember those days at the country fair with roasted corn on the cob dipped in butter?